As a litigator, John has effectively handled a wide variety of cases involving countless legal issues. His practice includes construction litigation, commercial and business litigation, insurance disputes and real estate litigation. John has also represented numerous governmental entities, from the state level to local municipalities.
Over his career, John has successfully represented a wide array of clients, including Fortune 500 companies, regional and local businesses, and individual business owners.
John has been an AV rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell since 2001, and has also been selected to South Carolina Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers, and Greenville’s Legal Elite.
In his spare time, John is an avid reader, an enthusiastic if not particularly talented competitive swimmer, and a truly terrible poker player.
South Carolina, 1983
United States District Court, District of South Carolina, 1984
United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1984
University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D., 1983
- South Carolina Law Review: Research Editor, 1982-1983
- South Carolina Law Review: Member, 1981-1983
Duke University, B.A. English, 1978
- Magna Cum Laude
New College, Oxford University, 1976
Erskine College, 1974 – 1975
- Best Lawyers In America 2009 – 2016 ®
- Super Lawyers 2009 – 2012, 2014 – 2016
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- “Annual Survey of South Carolina Law: Evidence”, 34 South Carolina Law Review 155, 1983
- “Annual Survey of South Carolina Law: State and Local Government”, 34 South Carolina Law Review 209, 1983
- Board of Zoning Appeals, City of Greenville, 2011
- Greenville County Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar
- Construction Law Section (Chairman, 2000 – 2001)
- Lawyers Caring About Lawyers Committee (Chairman 1996 – 1997)
- Past President, Greenville Young Lawyers Association
- Certified Civil Court Arbitrator (State and Federal Courts)
Love, Thornton, Arnold & Thomason, Greenville S.C.
Associate and Partner, 1983 – 1996